Sunday, June 24, 2007

Loss of True Giant

BrevardSChilds

Apparently Prof. Childs never recovered consciousness after the second surgery. His family decided to take him off life supports and he died within 10 minutes.

A public memorial is planned for the Fall. I will post all details as I receive them.

Dr. Kent Richards, executive director of the SBL, emailed me the following wonderful comment: We have really lost a formative figure in OT studies. People often said that we have not had any “giants” in recent times but I would certainly put him in that category given all of contributions, not just to the scholarly community.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lauralew said...

Wow, Dr. Cook, you personally have suffered a great deal of loss lately. My prayers are with you and Catherine.

Sun Jun 24, 07:50:00 AM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. Cook,

My prayers are with you and with others who knew Dr. Childs as a person as well as knowing him as a scholar. I know that my own understanding of the Old Testament was enhanced and enlightened through teachers such as yourself who were so influenced by Brevard Childs, and what I have read of his is excellent and so helpful to me as I work to integrate my studies into active ministry. Peace and blessings be with you in this time of sadness and mourning, these many losses recently are a lot to take all at once, especially. Take care of yourself and may God continue to bless you.

Peter Carey

Sun Jun 24, 10:56:00 PM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home