Saturday, June 23, 2007

Prayers Requested for Prof. Brevard S. Childs


For about a week I've known that one of my beloved mentors from Yale Grad School, Brevard Childs has been critically ill in hospital in Connecticut, but he is a great and private man and I've been very reluctant to post on it. At this point Bard's condition is ever more life threatening, and so I, and his other students and friends I'm sure, earnestly request your prayers. He collapsed about a week ago, the night before he and his wife Ann were were planning to leave for their summer place in Chautauqua. He has undergone at least two difficult surgeries and is now not conscious and in danger of renal failure. His family is with him, as I am in my prayers.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm really sorry to hear that, Steve. Childs taught the Intro to OT class that I took at YDS and was the one told me to transfer to Princeton Seminary. I remember that in his intro class he had a wonderful way of summing up scholarly discussions and then breaking them down. A decade later, I still find myself trying to unpack the ideas from that intro class, which is more than I can say for many of my more "advanced" seminary and graduate courses. In my notes from the first semster I had circled the name "Dennis Olson" with a question mark because he the one scholar that Childs uncritically praised. Dennis ended up directing my dissertation at Princeton and proved to be a wonderful mentor. Thus, however indirectly, Childs played an important part in shaping my career. I wish him all the best.

Jeremy

Sat Jun 23, 12:12:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Jim Watts said...

Steve:

Thanks for letting us know about this. I had not heard. Please keep us updated as you hear more news.

Jim Watts

Sat Jun 23, 07:14:00 PM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home