Monday, October 09, 2006

Now in Print!


Just received in the mail, hot off the press, a copy of the new fully revised and updated HarperCollins Study Bible, for which I did the notes on Hosea.

This is the new version, edited by Yale's Harold W. Attridge, just out. To see the book details on the HarperCollins' website, click here.

This study Bible should become something of a new standard. It claims to have twice as many annotations as its nearest competitor. Over one fourth of the book is newly done and brought right up to date.

New HarperCollins Study Bible

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What happened with the Book of Genesis? All of the other notes appear to be a revision, but Genesis appears to be a completely new set of notes. Why?

Mon Oct 09, 10:56:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger S and C said...

Hi Larry. I don't have any of that sort of information, but we could ask at the HarperCollins both at the SBL in D.C. next month. I did try to find the preceding Genesis annotator, Joel W. Rosenberg in a web search just now, but could not find him listed on either the SBL site or on the Tufts University site. Best, ---Steve

Mon Oct 09, 06:43:00 PM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joel Rosenberg has a named (tenured) Associated Professor chair in the department of German, Russian, & Asian Languages at Tufts; he's gotten some media attention recently for his translations of Tehillim and has also been researching Yiddish film.

Well, I might guess (with no information at all) that his annotations to Genesis were considered a bit unorthodox. (Personally, I found them quite stimulating and regret the change in the new edition.) Unfortunately, I'm not going to SBL this time so I won't be able to ask myself -- I just found it a pity that there was not more continuity between editions here.

Tue Oct 10, 07:06:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger S and C said...

Very interesting. I didn't know. --Steve

Tue Oct 10, 08:39:00 PM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home