Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Quote of the Day

Quote of the Day (re: preaching):

One of the most severe failures in churches today is that so often preaching has become therapeutic instead of proclamatory. The point of sermons is not to tell listeners how to lift themselves up by their own bootstraps; we don’t advise them on how to fix their lives and adjust their attitudes. Rather, we preach to paint so beautiful and compelling a vision of the kingdom of God that we enable the hearers to inhabit it. (from The Unnecessary Pastor; credit: HT and HT)

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I disagree with this quote. It makes too much of the preacher--"painting the picture"--and it limits what a sermon is/does.

My preaching has really changed this year. I am currently viewing sermons as the beginning of a conversation with people. I'm sure I'll have another view soon. Tedious to try to definitively define what sermons are!!

Posted by EFelicetti, who for some reason can't log in as myself...

Tue Dec 12, 09:22:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger S and C said...

I like the idea of engaging people, drawing them in so they are less passive hearers of the word. One thing I liked about the quote was that it seemed to encourage the use of imagination in doing this. Please do post more on what seems to be working in real life. Thanks! ---S.

Wed Dec 13, 07:11:00 AM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home