Sunday, December 31, 2006

RBL Review: Joe Cathey Reviews Bergman's Biblical Hebrew Workbook

Just out on-line in the latest Review of Biblical Literature is a review by my friend Dr. Joe Cathey of Nava Bergman's textbook, The Cambridge Biblical Hebrew Workbook (click here). I would say that Joe believes the book is worth considering, but that he is not thrilled with it. One neat distinctive that he mentions is the author's use of "familiar" Hebrew personal names as signposts and memorization-devices to help readers learn vocabulary and grammar items. For those of us who regularly teach Hebrew, it might be worth getting the book or borrowing it just to get a hold of this new teaching strategy.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Joseph Ray Cathey said...

Steve,

Blessings on your new year my friend. You are spot on in your assessment of my take on Bergman's book. I think that she has some really good points and that her workbook needs to be read by the guild. Yet as I say in the review I think that we would all profit from her combined workbook, CD, and grammar. She has some very unique ideas and I think the book is worth the price that Cambridge is asking for it.

Cheers
Joe

Tue Jan 02, 09:37:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger S and C said...

Hi Joe,
Trust you had a wonderful holiday.
Happy New Year!
---S.

Tue Jan 02, 09:55:00 AM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home