Saturday, December 23, 2006

Reminder Re: Preaching Micah 5 Tomorrow

PulpitUpdate: PamBG has uploaded a lovely sermon she has finished on Micah 5 to her blog. I certainly commend it to you (click here). I'll post an excerpt below.

Just a reminder that I have several posts providing expository notes on Micah 5:2-5 for this Sunday (4 Advent, Year C).

Click here, here, here, and here. Comments on the text are welcome, as are links or excerpts from any homilies or sermons that you end up preparing.

Brief excerpt from PamBG's sermon:

But here is the glorious bit of redemption. Here is the incidence of “shimmering surprises and outlandish innovation and renewal”… God says that the Messiah is going to come from one of these poor country villages! From Bethlehem. The Messiah is going to come from a lowly place. A place where the people are oppressed and where the king is happy to use them as cannon fodder and abandon them to their deaths. God cares about this little village which humankind mocks. God’s outlandish innovation is that the Messiah, the saviour of the universe, is going to born amongst the lowest of the low. God’s shimmering surprise is that that the people the world despises are people of infinite worth to God. Imagine! The world tells you that you are dirt, that you are scum and God’s prophet comes along and says, “Out of you, I will bring a ruler for Israel and people all over the earth will acknowledge his greatness.” The earthly religious system thought they had it all figured out. The Messiah was going to be born in Jerusalem of a prominent family. He was going to be a great military leader who would ensure a great victory of independence for his people. But God had other plans...

6 Comments:

Blogger PamBG said...

Here's my sermon for tomorrow, then. It's half Micah and half Luke. Outlandish Renewal

Sat Dec 23, 11:59:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger S and C said...

Thanks so much! As you can see, I'm elevating this up into the post. Merry Christmas! ---Steve

Sat Dec 23, 04:29:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger PamBG said...

Thank you, I'm flattered.

Happy Christmas to you and to your family too. (I've not quite understodd what's happening on your other blog, but I hope your family will be complete soon, if that's apropos of what is happening.)

I'm exhausted but looking forward to my three upcoming services on Sunday and Monday. [It's like being back in college and having to write endless essays! ;-)]

Sat Dec 23, 06:19:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger PamBG said...

You wanted reactions to the sermons and I think the following reaction was due in large part to your commentary.

A chap said to me after the service. "This might sound arrogant, but you think that after a lifetime of being a Christian, you know all there is to know about Christmas, but I learned a lot today." My response (with a happy smile on my face) was "That's exactly how I feel every time I get to study the texts."

Mon Dec 25, 04:30:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger S and C said...

Pam, This lifts my spirits tremendously. You have certainly made my day! Thank You, ---Steve

Tue Dec 26, 08:54:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger PamBG said...

Wonderful, I'm pleased. :-)

It's all grace! God is good and the little seeds DO matter.

Tue Dec 26, 10:53:00 AM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home